Wednesday

Blogger to Wordpress Switch: My 3 Fears

Blg

Blogger was fun for a little while, but it is time to move on to something different. I just made the switch to Wordpress yesterday, I changed my domain, spent hours playing around with themes, and second guessed the decision a million and a half times. In reality, it's not a big deal. It's just a new platform to blog on, so what's the problem?

1. Finding the right theme

I've used Wordpress in the past, but I wasn't so serious about blogging.  Having my own, personalized theme wasn't as important as just having a place to write. But now that I've purchased themes for blogger, it feels strange to start off with a pretty generic free theme on Wordpress. Hopefully over the next few months I can learn more about all of this internet stuff and start learning to make my own themes. You know, just another thing to add to my never ending list of things I want to do, but never find time for.

2. Navigating the site

Similar to the first point, learning Wordpress is a daunting task. Blogger was super simple and baby blogger friendly, and Wordpress is a place with a thousand different possibilities. I'm crossing my fingers that after continuing to play around with the site for a week I'll figure out the perfect setup for the time being.

3. Social Media

Another pain of switching is having to change my URL on all of my social media sites, blog networks, affiliate programs, etc. It's really not a huge deal, but remembering all of the sites that I've made accounts on can be a little tricky. It seems like I am constantly signing up for new networks and websites that require that I connect my blog to them. I'm really hoping that I don't end up losing even more traffic solely because I didn't keep up with these sites.

Switching from Blogger to Wordpress has been a little scary, but I am so excited about all of the new possibilities. I can't way to continue to develop and improve my blog, especially since I changed my domain name (previously www.warmweatherwishes.com).

Have you switched from Blogger to Wordpress before? How was your transition?

 

2 comments:

  1. I recently made the switch to WP through my own domain and it seemed easy at first. That was until I noticed some HTML kinks that had to be fixed due to the import of my old files to my new website. It took a few weeks to sort out, but everything's running smoothly now! And a tip: research some of the popular, most used plug-ins for WP. It'll make searching for them much easier and you won't have to take up as much space running things like JetPack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh glad to hear it all went well for you! I know some folks that had a much rougher time of it. WP rocks!

    ReplyDelete

Shop