Monday

Downfalls to Dorm Living

My dorm room freshman year

As wonderful as college can be, there are definite downfalls to living on campus. Maybe it's the cold, snowy weather, maybe it's that half of the bathroom on my hall is broken, or maybe I'm just too hard to please, but these are a few things that are really making me miss living at home.

1) The Temperature. As the song goes, "the weather outside is frightful", but the temperature inside is so not delightful. The dorm I live in is always way too hot. Obviously, in the cold end of January weather I am glad to have heat at school, but this is excessive. It's the kind of too hot temperature where you're wearing shorts and t-shirts inside, and the moment you get dressed in jeans and a sweater for class you're drenched in sweat. Not cute. Especially since for the majority of the day I need to be dressed in "real clothes", so I would like to not sweat through them. Is that too much to ask?

On the other hand my the dorm my boyfriend lives in(literally right next to mine) is always really chilly, which is so much better because than I can just throw on an extra sweater. But still has no one heard of comfortable temperatures? 

2) The Bathrooms. I could definitely just stop there. From the yucky stalls, the hair on the floor of the showers, tight shower stalls, etc. The number one thing I dislike about college is having time my showers around when they clean the bathroom, which literally changes everyday. As a rule, I think that the bathrooms should be cleaned early in the morning before anyone is getting up for class. Otherwise, it just interferes with class schedules, workouts and all of that. There is nothing worse than having to go to class with unwashed hair, because the bathroom was closed (this happened to me today and I'm still mad about it).

3) Roommates. A roommate can be either a blessing or a curse and in my experience it's more a curse. It's not that my roommate isn't nice or whatever, but I seriously value my alone time. I would love to be able to go back to my own room and just sleep, write, or just relax without wondering whether my roommate is going to walk in. This may seem a little ridiculous, but it is definitely a huge  source of irritation for me. I have never felt 100% comfortable in any of the rooms I have lived in at school. 

I promise that I will write another post about what I like about living on campus. Today is just not a good day for that. 

What are your feelings on living in a dorm? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop