Tuesday

The Gym? What's That?

My Nike Free Runs and towel!
No matter how much time you spend thinking about the gym, (running, working out, whatever) if you don't actually get up and go none of it matters. It's a constant battle between the desire to be fit and finding the time to get up and move. This is a huge struggle for me. It doesn't matter how well I plan out my day or week to fit in some gym time, it still barely ever happens. 

The thing about college is that it seems like you have so much free time (and maybe you do) but at the same time you have zero free time! How is that possible? Well think about it. You're taking about fifteen credit hours, which means that you have class time, plus approximately double that for study and homework time, you also have to socialize, eat, and most importantly sleep. I don't think it matters if your class starts at 8am or 1:30 pm, you're probably going to sleep until about an hour before class. 

Every semester I start out telling myself I will not sleep past 11am regardless of what time my classes begin. Ha ha. That is literally impossible. The later your day begins, the later you'll let yourself stay up. And all of that studying is definitely going to wear you out. I'm not even exaggerating when I say I need at least four more hours of sleep at school then I do when I'm home. So all of that extra time sleeping definitely eats away at work out time. 

Besides all of those factors you have to think about the showers. Most likely you'll want to jump in the shower after a workout, especially to wash your hair. For me washing me hair and waiting for it to dry is practically an hour long process(on a good day). So when you have to add that extra hour in your window for available work out time dwindles. Plus, the fact that you have to time your showers around when the bathroom is closed for cleaning. Ugh. 

The best way to handle all of these barriers at school is to stop putting pressure on yourself. Set little goals to begin with, like "go to the gym 2x per week". Start small and don't put pressure on yourself to be there for hours or get a six pack by the end of the semester. It definitely takes practice to get into a consistent workout routine. 

And what else can you do when you can't make it to the gym? Eat healthier and workouts in your room. Remember my Nike Training App post from last month? Seriously download it, I do those workouts or shortened versions on those mornings when I wake up late. If you're worried about the gross dorm room floor throw down a towel! Also I always plan these around when my roommate is out because then I can really use the whole room!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop