Life is never perfect. It's filled with roadblocks and speed bumps to slow us down and get in our way. As much as we wish that everything will work out and fall into place, sometimes it just won't. Almost everyday we face challenges, whether it be with work, school, or relationships, it's inevitable. Sometimes these little setbacks can be incredibly disappointing and discouraging, and all we want to do is pack up and go home (metaphorically or otherwise).
It's important to remember that these little challenges are learning experiences. Every failure we experience brings us one step closer to success. There have been a million times this semester alone, when I felt like packing up my room and going home for good, but what would that do? Simply giving up, without a real plan isn't the answer.
So what can we do? Remember that with every challenge comes a chance to learn. You can choose to be incredibly bitter about failing that test, or not getting the summer job you wanted, or you can learn from your mistakes. Meet with your professor and go over the test, or call up the company and ask for tips for next year. There's always something you can do to ensure that you won't repeat the same mistake twice.
Getting over the initial disappointment can be hard. Sometimes it takes time, and other times we heal quicker. Whichever it may be, you have to remember to take whatever time you need and focus on recovering. Just like you wouldn't throw yourself into a new relationship right after your old one ended, you shouldn't burn your math test. Take a chance to cool down and gain perspective before deciding what you can do to fix the situation or make it better for next time.
Yesterday I hit a bump in the road. My mental health was dwindling, and I hit my breaking point which lead me to the counseling center at my school. Within 24 hours of my visit, I found myself on my way home for a long weekend to recover. At first I wasn't happy about it. I didn't want to miss out on a weekend with my friends and I worried about the classes I would miss, but sometimes you have to take care of yourself first. Taking a step back from life for a little bit is okay, if you need it to get back to normal.
I know that because I decided to go home for awhile, I will be better off in the end. My grades will be better, and I will be much happier than if I stayed and ignored the issue. I wrote a more detailed post here, if you're interested.
**As a side note, Happy Birthday to my original, more personal blog: CollegeAdvice101**
No comments:
Post a Comment