
Eating healthy at school is definitely my number one challenge. I tend to not like most of what is served in the dining hall so I stick to the same few meal choices: fries, pasta, cereal, bagels... not exactly the best choices before or after running. In the summer I eat much healthier, especially on days when I'm running. Smoothies are definitely the best post run snack, but at school good fruit is hard to find. I have a few go to snack options for work out days that are guaranteed to be available at every school.
Pre-run
Chances are you are running in the morning, so you won't have to worry about eating. If you have to eat before your run (which you shouldn't unless it's a long distance), just eat a slice of toast or a small granola bar. Too much food just before your workout can seriously slow you down, because you won't have time to digest.
In addition, you should also stay hydrated all around the time of your run. Drink a glass of water before you go to sleep the night before, and then take small sips throughout the morning leading up to your run. Just like eating too much food before your workout, drinking too much water before you run will give you major cramps. Nothing will stop you from reaching your daily goal like a bad cramp in your side.
Post-run
After your run you probably won't be too hunger, but it's best to eat something to help you refuel. Whole grain toast with peanut butter will give just the right amount of protein and carbs to get you through your morning classes. Eat a banana too to help stop the build up of lactic acid in your muscles which will make your recovery slower.
Making a habit of eating healthier foods will definitely help out your workouts. Despite all of the fried foods, creating a healthy diet at college isn't impossible.
[…] Yesterday, I wrote about my go to pre and post run snacks that you can definitely find in your schoo… […]
ReplyDelete