Thursday

A Love of Quotations

There's nothing better than stumbling upon a quote that tugs gently on your heart. I'm talking about the kind that really make you feel something, whether that something is sadness, love, hope or utter despair. What I am really trying to say is that I love words that make me think and feel.

It's funny how a seemingly random stringing together of words can produce such profound thought. There is nothing more true than a written quotation that drips with meaning and depth. A favorite statement of mine by Hemingway is, "Write the truest sentence that you know". As a writer, if that doesn't make your heart fill with joy and light your thoughts on fire, I don't know what does. What you write is the truth, even if it is fiction, your writing reflects your observations of the world around you and that is the truest thing that you know, really.

Oscar Wilde said, "You can never be overdressed or overeducated". That is probably at the top of the list of my favorites. Reading that statement and thinking it in my mind nearly everyday gives me a sense of confidence and power. As if it confirms my love of both fashion and reading are both entirely essential in a world that sometimes looks down upon an artist. I read because I love to read and I have a burning desire to learn more and more especially about writing. Nothing makes me happier than reading a good book in a pretty dress.

Famous quotations make me want to read the work of the author. When I scroll through tumblr and find a quote that makes me stop and think or really feel something I immediately google the person who said it and make a list of their works to read. Aside from The Beautiful and the Damned, I had never read anything written by F. Scott Fitzgerald, but once I stumbled upon this quotation, "I used to build dreams about you", I decided to go to the bookstore and purchase another book by him.

A great quote is an indicator of the quality of a writer's work, in my opinion. If they can say something profound in the shortest way possible, then their entire work as a whole must be worth reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop