I don't normally make New Year's Resolutions. Mainly because anytime I have, I set my self up for failure by asking way too much. If I don't go to the gym now why would I suddenly start going X times per week when the calendar year changes? If I don't eat very healthy now, will I really start eating broccoli everyday?
Your New Year's Resolutions shouldn't be rules, they should be guidelines. Rather than setting definitive rules for yourself, make them looser and more open. Go to the gym every week is better than 5x per week because it gives you leeway so even if you have a crazy busy week and you make it there once you still went.
Another problem with most New Years resolutions? Resolving to do things that are all work and no fun. Do you really want these resolutions to be a chore? Why not choose things that are better for your health and you will enjoy them. Instead of making a laundry list of things that you will never get done why not choose a few?
How simple is that? One resolution with a million ways to make it happen. Of course happiness, at times, is hard to achieve, but the possibilities are endless. And is there really anything more important than your own happiness?
So to make this happen I decided to come up with a list of things I can do that will make me happy:
1) Drink more hot chocolate
2) Read more books
3) Write everyday
4) Go to bed earlier
5) Don't oversleep
6) Appreciate friendship
7) Continue to keep a journal
8) Take more pictures
9) Spend a little time at the gym every week
10) Eat healthier
This list is pretty simple and in my opinion that's a good thing. I don't want to map out an overly complicated roadmap to get to that happy place, that's ridiculous. There are a hundred things that we can each do differently daily to make ourselves just a little bit happier. So why not go for happiness this year which will in turn lead to better health, relationships and productivity at work or school?
Will you resolve to be happy this year? What are your thoughts?

No comments:
Post a Comment