I guess school and home are basically two versions of home for me so either way I was flying into familiar territory. This morning I left from a major airport near NYC to fly to Miami. Flying from one large airport to another( especially when one is totally uncharted territory) is way more daunting than flying into the tiny Columbia, SC airport.
Though I met my boyfriend in the city after I landed today, I definitely felt completely alone. To be completely honest it was a pretty scary and nerve wracking experience. It took a lot of will power not to decide to just stay home. When I landed in Miami I even considered getting on the next flight back to New York.
Despite all of the nerves which left me feeling sick for most of today
,even once I arrived at the hotel, I can confidently say that I do not regret my decision to come here.
Even dealing with major anxiety issues, testing your own personal limits are entirely necessary. I think it's really important to do anything and everything that is way out of your comfort zone but you really wish that you could do.
Right now, I'm still not out of the anxiety zone so to speak. Until Saturday I'll be exploring a brand new city and flying back alone once again. As much as this makes me uncomfortable, I know I'd be miserable if I were sitting at home right now. I can almost guarantee that by the time my trip is over I will be way more confident in my ability to be entirely independent.
I also think it's really important to record these experiences. Journaling about a time you went totally out of your comfort zone allows you to build up a bank of experiences to fall back on. If this time next year I have the opportunity to do something similar I will be able to go back and read about my past experience confident that I will work it out once again.
Have you ever done something way out of your comfort zone?

No comments:
Post a Comment