
Finding new books to read can be so difficult. There's nothing worse than finishing a great book and then realizing you have no idea what to read next, and then when you do find a new book it turns out to be awful. Sometimes it feels like every book after that just doesn't live up to the last great one. That's why I love reading posts with book recommendations.
Here are a few of my favorite books that I read this semester.
1. Atlas Shrugged ~ Ayn Rand
I can't not include this book in the post. Even though it took me nearly three months to get through, I absolutely loved it. But the problem with this book is that it's so controversial. Everybody has either read it or heard about it and formed very strong opinions. If you love it, you're awful and self centered. If you didn't love it, you really didn't like it and you're considered a kind person. Personally, I think both of those ideas are absolutely ridiculous. In terms of the writing style and the plot, it's a really entertaining read with very dynamic characters. And the philosophy? You take what you want from it. If you read the book, you have a brain and can think for yourself. If you don't want to take every piece of the book to heart then don't. Form your own opinions and decide what you do and don't agree with or believe in. But that's like any novel.
If you're looking for a great book that will not only entertain you, but will also probably impress anyone who has either read or tried to read it, this is the book for you.
2. The Moviegoer ~ Walker Percy
I read this book for one of my english classes this semester and I honestly could not put it down. Most of the time, I go into a new class having accepted the fact that I probably won't like most of the assigned readings. I'm really not into Shakespeare (or anything from early modern England for that matter) and to be honest, most of the books that are considered classics can be hard to get through. In general, I like to read something that doesn't make me feel like I'm taking the SAT all over again. This book was definitely not like that.
The characters were unique and the novel is not at all plot based. It's definitely worth the read and unlike Atlas Shrugged, it's a relatively quick read.
3. Let the Great World Spin ~ Collum McCann
This is another book from that same class, but it's completely different. It takes place on the day a man walked on a wire between the Twin Towers in NYC. The book is divided into different sections, each follow a different character in the novel and where they were when the event occurred.
The style is really unique and the story is both engaging and thought provoking. Definitely add this to your to read list.
What are you reading?
I still need to read Atlas! I'm currently reading "The Leftovers." :)
ReplyDeleteIt's definitely worth the time! I just looked up "The Leftovers", I'm adding it to my list. Thanks!
ReplyDelete